Navigating the world as a new parent can feel like being in a whirlwind. You’re getting to know this tiny little human who came into your life and rocked your world – but in a good way! While new babies don’t do a whole lot more than eat, sleep, and poop, there are lots of little things you can do to build your parenting skills and help establish that crucial parent and baby bond. Establishing a strong bond with your baby early on is extremely important for their growth and development. Check out these 5 simple ways you can bond with your new bundle-of-joy!
- While eating, whether via breast or bottle feeding, hold your baby close so they can hear your heartbeat as this sounds an awful lot like what they heard when they were in the womb. Look (stare, I mean c’mon) into your baby’s eyes, and take in that new baby smell because before you know it they’ll be stinky toddlers.
- Talk to your baby. Even though they cannot respond to you, chat them up. They’ve been listening to your voice for months and your voice can be soothing for them! Narrate daily activities like diaper changes (all 275 of them), feedings, bath time, and playtime.
- Hold them. No, you cannot over-hold your baby! Not only will holding your newborn baby make them feel more secure but it will also help you feel more bonded to him or her. You can invest in a baby carrier or sling and wear your baby while you complete household tasks – hands free!
- Break out the baby lotion and give your baby a massage. Infant massage is a great before-bed practice and can help reduce baby’s stress, increase circulation, and relax their muscles. For instructions on how to give your baby a massage, click here.
- Enroll in a program designed for babies and their parents! The Little Gym’s Bugs classes for babies 4-10 months are another great way to bond with your baby and meet other moms! To learn more and enroll in a Bugs class near you, visit us here.
Building trust and bonding with your baby takes time, attention, kindness, patience, and nurturing. With these 5 tips you can build a connection with your baby that will last a lifetime!