Summer is heating up, which means we’re all looking for ways to stay cool. No matter where you live, the summer months can get hot, humid, and downright uncomfortable. It’s important to have some tips, tricks, and tactics to keep the kids cool as a cucumber during the hot summer months. Check out our top tips for keeping the whole family cool this summer!
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! You can never underestimate the importance of hydration. Keeping yourself, and your kids, hydrated during the hot summer months is crucial. Dehydration, heat stroke, heat exhaustion, and heat rash are all too common among young children so ensure your child has a water bottle filled with cold water and that they’re filling it often. Bonus: Make a game out of it or use any of these neat tricks, we mean tips!
- Get wet! Take a dip in the pool, host a water balloon fight with the neighborhood kids, turn on the sprinklers and let your brood go wild! When there is water involved, the kids stay cool, and have fun. The water play possibilities are endless.
- Air-conditioned extracurricular activities will become your BFF. Places like your local public library, or local The Little Gym are always cool and FUN! Find a local The Little Gym here.
- Keep summer clothes cool and light. Summer clothes should be light, airy, and minimal to prevent overheating. The best fabrics for summer are cotton or jersey. So, if your little princess is begging to wear their favorite polyester, long sleeved, popular princess dress (you know it’s going to happen), barter with her and let her know the risks of wearing clothing that might be too much for the hot weather.
- Stay cool with homemade frozen treats! Check out these yummy homemade popsicle recipes everyone will enjoy! You can even keep it super simple with and ice cube tray, mini sticks, and orange juice or lemonade.
- Avoid overexposure to the heat and sun. If the temperatures are hot and humid it’s best to prevent spending too much time long outside between the hours of 11 am and 3 pm when the sun is at its peak.
Staying cool doesn’t need to make you hot and bothered! With these tips, and a weekly trip to your air conditioned The Little Gym you’re set to have the coolest summer yet.